Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby foods

As noted in Sarah's most recent update, we have been busy discovering new, nutritional and flavor packed foods for her to try. I use a few guidelines in choosing a new recipe:
  • does it have any strange/health nut ingredients? (I'm not against these, they just tend to be expensive, not useful in other recipes, and not something we have in our normal table food)
  • does it resemble a dish we normally eat? (the ultimate goal being to eat as a family one day)
  • can it be frozen?
  • will Sarah be able to pick it up?
  • is it a choking hazard for her current ability level?
  • is there any ingredient that may be an allergen?
I rely heavily on the website www.wholesomebabyfood.com and a friend's blog http://www.littletummyyummies.blogspot.com/.

This weekend I tried two new recipes: turkey loaf and broccoli cheddar nuggets. Both have been very well received! Sarah eats both eagerly, but I think she prefers the turkey loaf. This is her first real meat dish, though it also has carrot puree and applesauce as main ingredients. Talk about a well balanced dish! Dave and I preferred the taste of the broccoli nugget, or broccoli cake, as we like to call it.

Below is a (sideways) picture of the broccoli cheddar nuggets just before they went in the oven.


Bon appetite!

2 comments:

  1. You are becoming quite the expert yourself! I'm glad she's so willing to try new things, it drives me crazy when I get those first graders who only eat Ramen noodles and macaroni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite worried about how Grandmama's cooking will measure up. I fear it will be quite short! Good job Cook cooks!

    ReplyDelete