Friday, March 9, 2012

Valentine's Day

Dave and I enjoy Valentine's Day. It is a perfect day to reminisce and eat chocolate. We have also established a tradition of Dave doing a little something to show me he loves me and I do I little something in response (though expecting that he does love me, I do prepare for my response).

Year 1: Our first year of marriage I made Dave heart shaped cookies with a lemon frosting from a fun magazine recipe. They were very pink. He made me a favorite Starbucks inspired drink: blended passion iced tea with lemonade. Yum! He also shared with me a sweet song he wrote about waiting tables and having a baby and how having a baby makes you a richer man than eating fancy steak regularly. Very wise. You should ask him to share it with you :)

Year 2: This February we were in Osterville, had a 7 month old, and didn't ever really leave the house after 7pm. Dave talked to a friend about watching Sarah (we have found that long married couples don't put much stock in Valentine's Day, just their anniversary) and planed a three part date. Phase 1: enjoy book browsing at Barnes and Noble. Phase 2: dinner at a delicious Italian restaurant on Main Street in Hyannis called Alberto's (best said in your most Italian accent). Phase 3: a fun coffee shop within walking distant that had live music. Sadly, phase 3 had gone out of business, so we went back to Barnes and Nobles and had Starbucks and looked at magazines. It was an awesome night out. I think I made Dave cake truffles for the first time that Valentine's Day, but that doesn't even compare to date night.

Year 3: This year I made Dave cake truffles again, because he really likes snacking on them from the freezer. He put Sarah to bed and let me relax while he worked on his secret. I enjoyed a rare uninterrupted hour of reading. He then said we were to dress up, fancy dress was required. I walked into the kitchen to find our table in the living room. First, we had a dinner of grilled lobster with butter and marinated grilled portobello mushrooms. This was to remind us of the joy of being open to things that the other loves (aka, Dave loves a whole lobster while I could do without and I love mushrooms which Dave could do without). We had Coke and Ginger Ale from our fancy water glasses and moved on to the second part of our evening, dancing! Dave had cleared the kitchen floor so that we could practice the waltz moves he found on youtube. We had such fun watching instructional videos, finding the perfect music, and then going crazy on our dance floor. Let it be known that for at least that one night, we really rocked the turning box step.

Hello lobster and mushroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment