Monday, February 20, 2012

And He's Off!

My brother, JT, has always been wholeheartedly devoted to that which he wanted to be. Homework? Not so much. Fishing? Yes, please!

For the last few years he has wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail (cool kids call it the AT). In that time he has done some serious research. This includes reading a book, scouring the internet, meeting with a guy who made the hike, recruiting a friend, and buying lots of equipment so light it is measured in ounces. (He assured me that bear repellent and soap were too heavy...)

Yesterday, Sunday, February 19, JT and his friend Bing set off on the grand hike. Basically, they are coming to visit us up north :) He hopes to keep us updated via his blog, appropriately named "Talking it THRU: the diary of a thru hiker." You can keep up with it here! (You can also follow his friend, Bing, here.)

My mom snapped this photo as they walked away. It was a bit of a soggy start!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is so crazy! I can't imagine taking on an adventure like that. One day I hope to visit the Cooks up north, but I will be traveling by plane, not by the AT.

    ReplyDelete