Monday, November 12, 2012

MegaTrip: Comforts of the South

Part Five in a series chronicling our first big family road trip. 

I hadn't worn anything with the Methodist cross and flame in quite a while. Then again, I hadn't worn choir robes in quite a while either. Yet there I sat in both, feeling just a little out of place.

Gagen had talked me into singing with her in the Heritage Sunday choir, and I was enjoying the challenge of sight-reading once again. It made me thankful for a skilled accompanist who made the parts easy to hear. We sang some old songs from my Methodist upbringing, and a few I hadn't heard of. Great fun in all.

One of my favorite things about Emily's home church is the welcoming atmosphere. You get the picture when walking around the church lobby that people really want to be there- and are glad you came also. I'm proud of OBC for being this way as well, but it was nice in a different way to experience this as a visitor in a church. It's right for church to be a happy place.

After Sunday Worship some of Emily's family friends came over for lunch and a good time. Some of our favorite Howell treats were on the menu: grilled redfish with caper burre blanc, red potatoes, cornbread, jambalaya, and fruit pizza.

Aside from the sight of her husband in a choir robe, the time in Mississippi became a comforting symphony of the familiar for Emily. It's nice to have a week of gas pumps staying on, stores having what you need, restaurants that you know are good, old friends, family, and a familiar college campus. I think Hattiesburg was to Emily what Louisville was to me.

I felt right at home with them, too. Except for the choir part.

Sarah feeding the ducks at the zoo




Papa, Goggin, and the grandkids

Family portrait at the USM campus

No comments:

Post a Comment