Friday, November 23, 2012

MegaTrip: Let's Twist Again

Part Six in a series chronicling our first big family road trip

It was our 3rd Anniversary, and we were headed to Jackson, MS. The next day I would fly back home to be with our church for a few days before coming back down and finishing vacation with the family. Emily and the kids would spend that time in Mississippi with the Howells.

But first we took a day trip to Jackson for dinner, something I love (old Rock n' Roll), something she loves (funnel cakes), and a night in a hotel.

We had dinner at the Parlor Market, a nice restaurant in downtown Jackson that explores the history of Mississippi in its menu. It was delicious, and the atmosphere was very fun as well. Our second stop was the Mississippi State Fair. Emily enjoyed a funnel cake and I enjoined the singing of a living legend: Chubby Checker.



Emily loved the funnel cake, and we both enjoyed the music. I had no idea what to expect. What we got was a crowd that was mostly a few generations ahead of us. On one hand, it was great to see him in my lifetime, and the band that played behind him was great. But on the other hand, it was sad to see the undertones of promiscuity that tarnish Rock n' Roll history come out to the forefront. For the first time, I could get a sense for why Christians didn't want their children listening to Rock n' Roll. My generation doesn't attach the Rock beat with sexuality or rebellion, and I think it's because that association doesn't come through on the old Rock n' Roll records like it did in the culture surrounding the music at the time, especially in the live scene. I was excited to hear "The Twist" performed live by Chubby Checker himself, but I left glad that the movement is over and we can just enjoy the music now. Come to think of it, we actually left early, tired of Chubby judging the ladies on the sexiness of their dancing. Not exactly fitting for celebrating the purity of your marriage.

After a good walk around the fair, we turned in for the evening and got up early so I could catch my flight home. Emily would come back to the hotel afterward and sleep in late. Mama needed some rest, so I was glad she would get a few hours to herself and a peaceful second cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment